Phillip Caldwell is a part of a family that can trace its roots in the Art and Antiques world for nearly a century (and now into its 4th generation working in the industry).
Tom Caldwell, Phillip’s grandfather originally began breeding horses for the Australian Army and also conducting auctions of livestock (mainly horses in the Deniliquin area). In the 1920’s he branched into selling fine arts specializing in Persian rugs with a retail outlet in St Kilda (that ran for many years through the depression and WW2.)
Phillip’s father John and his uncles Wally and Ron Caldwell followed in Tom’s footsteps and in the 1950’s started Caldwell’s Antiques, specializing in the finest of French and English furniture, Australian and European art and were considered to be Australia’s largest dealers in important Royal Worcester porcelain.
At the age of 15, Phillip’s interest in the world of fine arts started when his father organised for him to work with Leonard Joel’s in their amazing art sales of the 70’s & 80’s, held at the Malvern Town Hall. He worked under Paul Dwyer and still considers him as the foremost expert in Australian Art (although Paul Dwyer always hated the word expert).
For over a decade Phillip was lucky enough to assist in the Joel’s specialist outdoor auctions and enjoyed learning from one of Australia’s best auctioneers Graham Joel.
Phillip also worked with the flamboyant Ron McCann and assisted him for many years, and was involved in some of the best auctions held in Australia at the time (Lady Monahan Collection, Frank Thring Collection etc.)
Now conducting his own auctions since the mid 80’s, Phillip with the help of his brothers Peter (A skilled valuer in his own right) and Stewart (an exceptionally skilled restorer)
Most of the auctions Phillip conducts are onsite (in home auctions) and he can include some amazing auctions over the last 25 years (and nearly 200 major auctions)
- THE WALES COLLECTION (arguably the finest Royal Worcester collection sold worldwide)
- DELAMERE (Gary Lechte Collection) Including his rare car collection
- PETER RUSSELL CLARKE COLLECTION (Parkville, Soho Dryesdale)
- AMBERLEY (East Melbourne, Campbell Pretty collection)
- GEOFF SMITH COLLECTION (Black st Brighton)
- GARY KAY (Antique Decor clearance)
- RUBENSTEIN COLLECTION (Kooyong Rd Caulfield)
- IAN BURRIDGE COLLECTION (Royal Worcester)
- WATCH HILL BEEAC (SCHAEFFER COLLECTION)
- MONTE CRISTO (Junee NSW, Reg Ryan Carriage collection)
- GLENARA HOMESTEAD BULLA
- ISABELLE NEWBURY ESTATE
- PAUL & JANE LITTLE (Albany Rd)
- LA BECHE, TARADALE (Graham Geddes country retreat)
- ST MIRRINS WINERY & HOMESTEAD (Baxter)
- GERRY & BRENDA SENDER COLLECTION (St Georges Rd, Toorak)
- SOHO (Dryesdale)
- MONTALTO COLLECTION (Toorak)
- NORMAN BEHAN ESTATE (Part)
- VICTOR KAYE COLLECTION (Including his rare motor cars)
- LAUDERDALE (Ballarat)
- STIRLING COLLECTION (Kooyong)
- KANDE PARK (Kyneton)
- SEBROF (Murray Collection)
- KOONWARRA (Sturesteps Collection)
- 100’s more…
Phillip also conducted many auctions in his old High st Armadale facility and later in Walker St Prahran, currently all auctions are held in vendors property (in home).
Please don’t hesitate to contact Phillip Caldwell with estates, collections or even single items of virtue for appraisal and sale.
Don’t forget we also do valuations for insurance, auction, superannuation etc.
Also please call for quote for restoration and repair (Insurance quotes etc)
M: 0414 689 937
M: 0411 529 414